From time to time, clients ask about getting trademarks like Matrixforce. Here’s the short version:
- Be unique. Common words, sayings, or symbols will not be registered and there are no refunds.
- Get up and running. You’ll need a screen shot of the website showing commercial use.
- Get an attorney. The process is complex for search and filing. Legal fees generally range from $500 – $2,000. Trademark registration fee without an attorney is $275.
- Register a standard mark. If it’s truly unique, then the name or phrase itself can be registered in plain text allowing any type of color, font, or accent stylizing for use. Logos or symbols are a whole different ballgame with specific specimen submittal and always the exact same use afterward.
- Wait at least six months. It takes that long to process and then another 30 days for any party to file a notice of opposition.
- Protect and renew the mark. Make sure you don’t allow another party to use your trademark or a facsimile and renew the trademark after the first 5 years and each 10 years after registration for $500.
Again, this is only our take so get an attorney and review further at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.